MINNESOTA DAILY & CLA PRESENT:

Thursday, September 26th
At Northrop Plaza
From 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

Join us as we gather together to honor the five freedoms of the First Amendment and the role they play in our day-to-day lives and the power of our student voice on the University of Minnesota campus at this year’s celebration.

Featured Speakers

10 a.m.
NORTHROP PLAZA

Jeanne Kilde

Director,
Religious Studies Program, University of Minnesota

10:30 a.m.
NORTHROP PLAZA

Bill Moran

Instructor,
Design History & Typography
College of Design
University of Minnesota

11 a.m.
NORTHROP PLAZA

Cleo Krejci

Editor in Chief,
The Minnesota Daily
University of Minnesota

11:30 a.m.
NORTHROP PLAZA

Jane Kirtley

Silha Professor of Media Ethics and Law, Hubbard School of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Minnesota

Keynote Speaker

12 p.m. | Northrop Plaza

Andy Mannix

Staff Reporter, Minneapolis Star Tribune

Andy Mannix covers Minnesota federal courts and law enforcement agencies for the Star Tribune. He joined the paper in January 2016 and previously covered statewide in-depth criminal justice/prisons and Minneapolis City Hall.

Mannix’s work for the Star Tribune includes an investigative series on abuses that exacerbated the mental health crisis in Minnesota prisons, leading to the first-ever laws regulating solitary confinement in the state in 2019. Through leaked documents, he exposed how Minneapolis police were inappropriately urging paramedics to sedate people with ketamine during emergency calls. Those stories prompted several investigations into the police and hospital, including by the FDA and former Acting U.S. Attorney Sally Yates. He’s also reported on several high-profile officer-involved shootings in recent years.

Prior to joining the Star Tribune, Mannix wrote about a variety of topics, such as crime, LGBT rights and politics, for publications including The Seattle Times, MinnPost, City Pages and The Minnesota Daily. Mannix teaches at the University of Minnesota journalism school, of which he’s an alumnus. He holds a master’s degree from the University of California-Berkeley.

The First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Our Sponsors

First Amendment Celebration ©2019 MNDaily Media.

OUR SPONSORS

UMN: College of Liberal Arts

UMN: Hubbard School of Journalism
and Mass Communication

RAYGUN